With Fall Line Fest (FLF) fast approaching (this Friday and Saturday), I am very excited about the potential of this new festival. The highlight of the weekend will certainly be the music: 5 venues and over forty bands – headlined by Big Freedia. There has been a lot of media behind this festival and I’m really excited to do my part in spreading the word. Yet with so much information out there I want to boil down a few points – just for my Cheats Movement Family. Here are a few points I want to make about this weekend’s Fall Line Fest:
1. BUY NOW TO SAVE: If you buy a FLF ticket online (before Thursday at midnight) you save enough for 10 McDoubles. That’s right. If you buy a ticket now online it’s $20 for the entire weekend and $15 for a day pass. If you wait until the weekend the price goes up to $30 for a weekend pass and $20 for a day pass. I know there are “reasons” not to get a day pass BUT if you’re in RVA this weekend – there is not a good reason. Even if there is nothing that appeals to you on one of the two days – buy the weekend pass. It’s a better deal and it gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself and see a new band.
Ohbliv Performs at 7:30 PM on Saturday at the Hippodrome
2. THIS IS YEAR ONE SO THE LOGISTICS OF THE FESTIVAL WILL NOT BE PERFECT: I know you think that every festival is run by super-professionals that never screw anything up. Well, I got news for you. This is the first year of FLF and there will undoubtedly be “something” screwed up. I don’t know what it is but I’m telling you now – don’t let any minor thing throw you off your mission of having a good time. The organizers of FLF are bringing an amazing festival – SXSW style – to RVA. We’re going to have to roll with the punches and enjoy the ride.
Dead Fame Performs Friday at 7 PM at the Hippodrome
3. THERE IS SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE: Look at the FLF schedule. There is just about every musical genre covered. There are a ton of local bands and some cool national performers. If you’re a fan of music, you should be able to find something you like on both days. With that said – there are amazing local bands that are not on this year’s bill and there are some genres not covered ie. R&B/Neo Soul to name a few. To that – I again say, “this is year one.” I”m not sure how everything will work down the line but for year one, I am excited about the make-up of the festival.
Black Liquid performs on Friday at 10:15 PM at Love RVA
4. FALL LINE FEST IS NOT JUST MUSIC: In addition, to the live music shows, there are a number of restaurant deals (Pasture, Sasion, Ipanema, Rappannock, The Well), visual art exhibits – including a live mural installation by Hamilton Glass, and a food panel on Saturday at 1 PM at the Camel. In addition there are a number of “unofficial” events – associated with the FLF this weekend. The First Friday’s art walk on Friday. Live at Ipanema hosted by RVA Playlist on Sunday. And so much more throughout the weekend.
Mikemetic (Left) will be bringing his Afro Beta energy to Love RVA on Friday.
5. YOU GET WHAT YOU GIVE: I think most people don’t get the most out of festival because they are locked into one venue or a few events. That is a formula for a good time but not an amazing time. In order to get an amazing time – you need to move – you need to explore – you need to turn up. What do I mean? Get your ticket early on Friday – hit the First Fridays art walk – hit Love RVA to see Mikemetic, Rattlemouth, and Black Liquid – hit the Hippodrome to see Dead Fame and White Laces – take in the live art on Saturday – hit the restaurant panel – hit a restaurant deal for dinner – and then hit not just one venue but several venues. That is the path to get an amazing return on investment.
HAM? will be painting a live mural all weekend.
There it is family – some family talk about this weekend’s Fall Line Fest. I think Fall Line Fest is going to be amazing. Hit me up on The Cheats Movement Blog and let me know your thoughts.