“She Got Game” MC Rapsody (photo above) is bringing her talent to The Broadberry on Saturday night. Must See #1
Words by Cheats
Alright family, I’m very excited about the return of Fall Line Fest this week. This year is the second year of the festival and it’s already proving to be one of RVA’s most anticipated events of the year. I’m personally excited about the 2 day festival because of its diversity and range of activities. As a fan of all types of music, art, and culture, Fall Line Fest has something for me in just about every area. But don’t worry people, in my normal Cheats Movement fashion, I have done the research and broke down some of the must sees…over the the entire festival. Here is my list:
1. Rapsody at The Broadberry, Saturday, September 6th: If you don’t know about Rapsody, then you’re missing out on one of the most talented female MCs in the game right now. Although mass media is only concern with Nicki and Iggy, true hip hop fans know the North Caroline spitter from her “She Got Game” mixtape. Her recent acclaim has put her as an artist to watch by Time Magazine and USA Today. She is on the verge of mainstream success and her appearance really embodies what Fall Line Fest is all about, quality music on the rise. Her set is not to be missed by not just hip hop fans but fans of good music.
2. Death at the National (or) Matthew White at the November Theater, Friday, September 5th: This presents the first major scheduling issue for music lovers. But given the different genres of music you’re going to have to make a tough choice between seeing Death, the afro-punk legends out of Detroit, or Matthew E. White, our own homegrown hero, and head of Spacebomb records. They are both playing at the same time on Friday. And your choice gets even more crowded if you want to see RVA’s own Just Plain Sounds hip-hop collective reunite on stage at Gallery 5.
3. Live Art X Live Hip Hop at Gallery 5 , Friday, September 5th: Friday is a crowded night with 6 venues going strong under the Fall Line Fest banner but only one venue Gallery 5 is free all night for First Fridays and only Gallery 5 gives you live art and live hip hop. On the “live art” side, Gallery 5 has 4 amazing artists: Tamir Rock, Jason Ford, David Marion, and Jarred Barr, painting live during live hip hop performances by local hip hop talent. It’s going to be a special event. Also, anyone that comes to Gallery 5 will be able to see the Juired Art Show: Rhythm, curated by Dr. Lisa Freiman, Director of the Institute of Contemporary Art at VCU. This is where I will be on Friday. Make sure you stop by and say hello. Last note about Rhythm, there is an Opening Reception on Thursday, September 4th at 6:30 at Gallery 5. It’s free and open to all.
4. DJ Lonnie B & Skillz party the night away, Saturday, September 6th: If you don’t know how the Heavy Hitter DJ Lonnie B gets down by now, you may have been living under a rock. His Art of Noise events and Pop-Up Day Parties have carried RVA all summer long. I’m so glad that he will be doing it big for Fall Line Fest. Don’t miss this performance Saturday night at The Broadberry. DJ Lonnie B ft. Skillz will close out the night that also features performances by: Bravo, Octavion Xcellence, Audra the Rapper, and Rapsody.
DJ Lonnie B ft Skillz at The Broadberry Saturday night is a performance/party not to be missed.
5. Fall Line Fest Brunch, Saturday, September 6th at 11:00 AM (The Broadberry): I’m just going to say the company line on this because I know it’s going to be good. We have some of the best chefs in RVA (Toast, Lady Nawlin’s, the Camel, Social 52, The Blue Goat, Society) helping out on this event and it’s open to anyone with a Fall Line Fest wristband/weekend pass. It’s first come first serve and runs until 2 PM.
Other performances I wish I could see but will be hosting my Cheats Movement X Fall Line Fest events: Lobo Marino & Mighty Joshua on Saturday at The Camel, Diamond Center on Friday at the National, DJ Hoody Weather & Gent and Jawns on Friday at The Broadberry (I may catch the end of that). Honestly, the entire fest is setting up to be amazing. Buy your ticket now at: 2014.FallLineFest.com
Now that you know my “Must Sees” leave me a comment and let me know: What is your “must see” Fall Line Fest event?
If you have any questions about this post or any others: TheCheatsMovement@gmail.com